Tuesday, June 16, 2009

challenges

this morning i went to early morning yoga. i am definitely still a beginner in the practice of yoga but i do like having challenges every now and again.

the great thing about taking risks and taking on challenges for me is that is shows me where i can go. it shows me what my hidden potential is. i love the way the instructor today said, let's just play with this pose.

this is a bound yoga pose. you lunge forward and then clasp your hands behind you, one hand under the legs and one hand over. then today, erin said, let's play a little bit. try to raise your back leg off the ground while you do this pose.

wowza. i tried a few times and fell every time. then i grabbed some straps to help me keep bound, and for a nanosecond i was able to lift my back leg.

this is why i love yoga because it is all about the nanoseconds. it is all about knowing where you can go and then celebrating when you show even the slightest growth. i would never have imagined that i could do this pose until i was challenged to do so.

sometimes i don't know how far i can push myself until someone says, let's just play with it. it was very cool to be able to get somewhere i never thought i could or would go.


* picture courtesy of genieve's yoga site.

No comments:

Post a Comment