Tuesday, January 13, 2009

words and how we use them

our words hold great power.

it amazes me as i scan my eyes across my classroom how much power we all hold in our words and gazes. one look at a kid (okay adults too) can make or break their day. the tone of voice can make all the difference.

i find myself these days really concentrating on how things come out of my mouth. i ask myself what is the desired outcome of what i say. this intention on what i say and how i say it has genuinely made all the difference in the classroom lately.

i am more content and focused on my work.
the students are more content.
we are all just getting along a lot better.

there are many schools of thought on how to run your classroom, how to manage it. i think it all comes down to what works for you and what is good for the kids. my room runs like a community. we recognize the individual but also recognize that the actions of the individual effect the community too. whenever i redirect a student, i try to explain to him/her why i am asking him/her to do something. i figure if the students understand why, it might actually make sense and stick with them.

this takes an incredible amount of patience, understanding, intention, and listening. several of those things are not always my strong points. i have found this week that the intention or rather striving for it, has caused me to have more patience and a better understanding.

often what the kids are saying is not what they really mean. they are not talking about someone stealing their pencil, they are talking about the very core of their person not being accepted because someone stole from them. rarely does a student tattle just to get someone else in trouble, they are saying, look at me, notice me.

it can be challenging to acknowledge and know what every one of my twenty five students needs to feel and be whole. some days i come home and lay down on the couch and just sleep for two hours. i don't sleep because i taught a hard math lesson or writing was strenuous. i sleep because i hold in my hand the mental and emotional (dare i say spiritual) well being of twenty five uniquely individual beings.

every look, every gaze makes a difference.

some days that makes me smile. some days it makes me want to take a fourteen hour nap.

1 comment: